Adventures Uncategorized

United Through Sport // Camp South Africa 2017.

June 9, 2017

South Africa is a country heard about by many and explored by little. The media indulge in the violence and drug abuse behind the country’s capital. Johannesburg. As of February 2017, I experienced South Africa intimately in what became the most incredible and unforgettable few weeks of my life. (so far…)

I went to SA, based in the friendly city of Port Elizabeth. Living and working with the charity; United Through Sport, who work with schools in townships, to provide sport lessons. You may think that teaching a child sport is not that important, but due to the lack of funding at schools within South Africa, it is not on their curriculum to provide sport or physical education. This is where UTS come in. The charity visits 3 schools a day, 5 days a week. Same schools each week. Myself and many others coached a sport of our choice to the kids who chose our sport. I coached Netball and Hockey, but there was also Tennis, Cricket, Football and Swimming available.

Now, if you know me, you will know my extent of sport is the bare minimum. Apart from going to the gym a few times a week , or taking part in school competitions 5/6 years ago, at no point have i ever considered myself to be a fitness enthusiast. Let alone a sport coach. However, these girls are not expecting athletes, and even just ten minutes of dribbling a hockey ball around a few cones brings sparkles to their eyes. The children have so little and it means so much to them to be able to have fun and play sport. They would play in ripped trousers and broken shoes but with smiles bigger and brighter that you can imagine. UTS isn’t trying to change the world, but just bring a bit of happiness into the kids lives, and that is what i loved.

IMG_2385.JPG

I taught these girls Netball and they were the most enthusiastic netball players!

During my time coaching, i was lucky enough to meet some fab people from all across the world who basically become your family. Working, eating, and living with everyone meant we made such a tight bond, We were able to travel across South Africa to some of the most incredible locations, including Coffee Bay, Tsitsikamma, Grahamstown and more. Lets not forget, whats the point in going to Africa if you don’t go on Safari…

The poverty which flooded the townships broke my heart, but the amount of love and passion from the kids made every second unbelievable. Pictures will never do justice, and if you ever get the chance to go to SA, take it and run. Because i guarantee you will fall in love with the country within minutes. South Africa, i will return, there is more of you yet to discover.

Sophiemagsx

Amanda
    June 14, 2017 at 6:33 pm

โ™ก

Sophie! (May I call you ‘Sophie’, or do you prefer the extended version?)

Ohh… travel is my dream! I have never heard of this charity! Thank you for sharing!

I won’t lie, I’m afraid to go to Africa… but I want to. I want to see the world. ๐Ÿ™‚

I am soooo happy that you got to have such a wonderful experience! I certainly hope one day to be able to post something similar, but in the meantime, I live vicariously through others like yourself, lol.

hopelessblog
      June 14, 2017 at 6:35 pm

Ofc you can!! Africa is a must see must go must do! xx

Amanda
        June 14, 2017 at 6:44 pm

LOL… perhaps you can convince my husband? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I hope, one day, to either open a spiritual center, or travel doing spiritual/self development seminars… which will, I hope, kill two birds with one stone… travel & income, lol. Once I get income settled, I think I could convince my husband to travel anywhere we can afford ๐Ÿ˜‰

Invisibly Me
    June 14, 2017 at 9:25 pm

I know someone who was originally from SA and then went back there in his 20s to work for a similar type of programme; he loved it and spoke so highly of the experience, the country and the effect it had on him (though as you’ve said it sounds quite heartbreaking as well as breathtaking). Great post ๐Ÿ™‚

hopelessblog
    June 14, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Thanks very much! South Africa will always have a special place in my heart, a country like no other

ignitedmoth
    June 14, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Oh, wow! What an absolutely lovely post. The pictures are fantastic, and the story behind them is even better. ๐Ÿ™‚

hopelessblog
      June 15, 2017 at 6:25 am

thank you for all your kind comments i really appreciate it ๐Ÿ˜šx

storyspiller
    June 15, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Lovelyโค๏ธ Its so nice that you went and taught these kids! Those pictures look amazing too๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Where Abby Goes
    June 15, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Such a great story you told! It’s definitely on my dream list to go to South Africa.

hopelessblog
      June 15, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Yeah if you get the chance i highly reccomend x

Grace
    June 25, 2017 at 6:21 pm

I wish to visit that beautiful country someday. Lovely pictures. Like a breath of fresh air. ๐Ÿ™‚ <3

hopelessblog
      June 25, 2017 at 6:39 pm

Thank you! its an eye opening county ๐Ÿ™‚

Grace
        June 25, 2017 at 6:47 pm

On my bucket list for sure. Places to visit. ๐Ÿ™‚

Robyn Haynes
    June 25, 2017 at 6:50 pm

What an amazing experience!

hopelessblog
      June 25, 2017 at 6:54 pm

If you ever get the chance to go i highly reccomend it!

Robyn Haynes
        June 25, 2017 at 6:55 pm

I’m trying to find the follow button. It’s 5 am and I’m on my phone. It may have to wait until I’m properly awake.

hopelessblog
          June 25, 2017 at 7:34 pm

haha i appreciate your kindness! get some sleep!!

Animals and their enclosures… – Hopeless Wonderer
    July 1, 2017 at 7:07 pm

[…] main issue is that it’s just quite frankly not fair. As mentioned in my blog post about South Africaย ย i was lucky enough to go on safari. It was incredible. The animals have SO MUCH FREEDOM. Humans […]

Hopeless Wonderer-posts of 2017 – Hopeless Wonderer
    December 21, 2017 at 7:52 pm

[…] up is my United through sports// camp South Africa […]

Let me know what you thought of this post!

Instagram

Instagram has returned invalid data.

%d bloggers like this: