Self expression Uncategorized Video gaming

Girl Gamers

27/06/2017

Okay I’m going to rant here-I do not like the stigma behind girl gamers.

Gamers- regardless of their gender are stereotyped. Nerds who spend hours on their computers or consoles, snacking away without washing and are socially awkward. Now, add the fact you’re a girl into that and the stereotype is enhanced.

I have never considered myself to be gamer, just someone who enjoys video games, and enjoy being the lighter term because I will emotionally invest myself into each storyline (Sobs over Bioshock infinite ending) but anyway…the stigma behind a girl gamer goes two ways:

1. The girl every guy dreams of, like some sort of holy grail who they can spend their evenings gaming with and have this ultimate two player set up.
  2. The complete socially awkward nerd who keeps to herself and only communicates through memes.

I am neither of the above and I can guarantee 99% of every other girl who plays some kind of console does not fall into it either. The thing is, there is a stigma behind girl gamers and it’s not fair for someone to be embarrassed by their hobbies. Some weeks I’m so busy I look forward to having an evening where i can sit at home on my Xbox and walk around the wasteland or shouting giants off cliffs. ( I really recommend it for stress relief its a blast)

To me, sometimes it feels like I have to explain myself as to why i game because it’s so unusual or i have to prove my interest through gamer score, which is quite frankly appalling. In fact i am a terrible gamer, most other people would have given up and found a new hobby but i must save as many tribes as possible and get to the best round on Zombies i possibly can. Either way i will continue to get the “Are u a girl LOL XD” messages in the lobbies and I’m bored with it. In one way it does express the maturity of others when you’re in a lobby and you here random people nearly crying at fact a girl just top of the leaderboard in search and destroy.

I don’t know, maybe its just one thing Feminism is yet to tackle, but for now I will continue in my own little world exploration life one apocolypse at a time.

Sophiemagsx

Maggie
    27/06/2017 at 9:59 pm

Ahh stereotypes are so awful!! I know exactly what you mean; if you’re a girl gamer, you’re either a fanatic or a nerd. Maybe both. lol I really enjoy playing video games sometimes, although not enough to be considered a gamer, but I get what you mean. x

Shelby "Falcon509" Steiner
    27/06/2017 at 10:30 pm

I think much of the stereotype comes from people just assuming that gamers are always guys. My wife is a gamer, and though she usually doesn’t have issues with others because she sticks to single player games, she’s told me that she used to have to deal with guys hitting on her once they found out she liked playing videogames (though admittedly, I did a double-take when I met her).

Perhaps once the knowledge that women like playing games makes it into the mainstream, things will change. It needs to be normalized that women can like things that men do, and vice versa.

And who doesn’t like yelling off of cliffs sometimes? Better range that way.

hopelessblog
      28/06/2017 at 7:12 am

i completely agree sometimes it’s not believable that there are girl gamers because it’s just a male dominated industry despite some games having leaving female character roles, thanks for your comment 🙂

comfykittea
    28/06/2017 at 7:01 pm

I mostly keep my hobby to myself, as I’m absolutely sick of the stereotypes and the expression on people’s faces when I mention something as harmless as Zelda or Night in the Woods. Regarding online or co-op games, I’ve learned to keep quiet about being a girl 😉
    Sad, isn’t it? On the other hand, I won’t let anyone keep me from doing what I love. In moderation, of course.

hopelessblog
      29/06/2017 at 11:33 am

Completely agree its just boring to be stereotyped and so what if we do even fall into it at least were having fun! haha its almost like being a girl is an unknown species in the gaming world I swear!

The Indecisive Eejit
    06/07/2017 at 4:18 pm

I do get this. I tend not to talk outside my Xbox social circle because I cant be doing with the snarky comments and the unasked for friend requests.
    I just want to go into GTA and create havoc to ease my stresses lol

charliechatters
    04/08/2017 at 12:25 pm

Preaching to the choir! It’s awful that we have to sit here and discuss that the stigma behind being a girl and liking video games – I totally agree with you, when I meet people and they find out I like video games, they either try and still explain a games roles to me (so frustrating) or make me score points via the games I play… “it doesn’t count if you only play XYZ games”.
    Anyways, we can only keep on doing as we do to normalise it, keep kicking butts ladies 🙂

Let me know what you thought of this post!

%d bloggers like this: