Adventures Self expression Uncategorized

That one time in Thailand…

August 23, 2017

I once attempted to travel around Thailand.

I say attempt because I ended up stranded in Bangkok for four days due to lost luggage.

My trip started after I flew from South Africa to Bangkok. This included 3 connecting flights and was a draaaaaaag.

Once I finally arrived in Bangkok two hours later than expected, I waited at the carousel for my luggage to come, and waited….and waited…. and oh guess what no luggage!!

So of course being on my own, panic sets in. I was two hours behind schedule due to two delayed flights and I think my situation also applied to quite a few other people as the airport was complete chaos. I went to the emirates luggage desk and they told me to fill out a form and my luggage would be delivered to my hotel the morning at 9am. To be honest though no one really seemed to know what they were doing and no one could answer my questions because it was madness.

At this point I was pretty pissed off. Not only had I not eaten properly for the last two days as i had been stuck on a plane, but i was also without any change of clothes, again the same clothes i had been wearing for the last two days and had literally NOTHING. I had arrived late, too late in fact to eat because everything was shut, and i was on my own. It is fair to say i was not enjoying my experience in Thailand so far.

Now the next day 9am came and the airport had rung my hotel to say it would be with me by 1pm, so I went for a little explore. Bangkok is a crazy city and even a little downpour didn’t stop the happy vibes the city gave off. It’s like a place 30 years ahead of everyone else and despite all the hustle and bustle Lumpini park is a beautiful area of bliss within the madness.

I went back to my hotel at 1pm and ofc no luggage. At this point I didn’t really know what to do so I did what anyone else would do when their on their own in a foreign country stranded. I cried and oh boy i cried. The hotel helped me ring the airports i flew with and they said my best bet was to travel to Bangkok airport.

I got to the airport at 2pm and went straight to the Emirates customer service desk. They didn’t have a clue where my luggage was. They couldn’t tell where it was whatsoever. I asked them how they expected me to spend the next 3 weeks travelling around Thailand without any luggage. Nothing no answer. I asked to speak to a manager, asked to go to the lost luggage room, no answers. One lady even told me to stop crying because it wasn’t helping the situation. After all this I didn’t have much other choice then to fly home and sort it out that way. 3 weeks didnt seem worth buying a whole new luggage and if i did that it would mean diving into my fund for my trip which in the long run may have made me miss out on some excursions or essentially cutting my trip short. Not only that but by this time i just wanted to go home and hated Thailand more than ever.

I flew home and rang customer services the next day who told me that my bag was at the airport THE ENTIRE TIME. Honestly I have never been so angry in my life. I told them i wanted compensation for the money i lost flying home and they said to file a complaint.

Well they forgot to tell me that they don’t actually answer any complaints USEFUL!!! I have been trying to contact Emirates about this for such a long time and every time I ring up it’s just a case of “I’ll report it and someone will ring me” they never ring me. I was on the phone four hours, trying to get through to someone higher and nothing. Even the ombudsman couldn’t help me. My issue here is a company as big as emirates feel like they can walk all over me and let it slide because im 1 person in a customer base of millions.

Oh and did I mention that within two days of me being home they delivered my luggage?! Why was it so hard for them to find it!!

I lost Ā£2,000, my self-confidence flying, and my trip was ruined. I hate emirates more than ever.

If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. I’ve been through my insurance who couldn’t help because rather than my luggage being lost completely it was only delayed. Emirates won’t even respond and the CAA have started ignoring me now too. I’ve message every TV show ever made for things like this.

Anything you might know would be much appreciated!

Ever had a holiday go wrong?

Maggie
    August 23, 2017 at 8:08 pm

I’m so sorry you had an awful experience!! Sounds like the one highlight was visiting that park, but that definitely doesn’t make up for the lost money and potentially enjoyable trip. I don’t have any experience with solo travel, so I sadly can’t offer any tips. I hope you get to have a great time in Thailand at some point to make up for that trip! Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Joy The Witch
    August 23, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Omg that really sucks, i am so sorry!!!! This is outrageous!! Too bad you didnt finish your trip in thailand :((( i heard it’s a gorgeous country

Amanda
    August 24, 2017 at 1:02 am

Ugh. How awful. I can’t fathom your disappointment. šŸ™ Unfortunately, I’m not an experienced traveller, so I can only offer platitudes and sympathy, which isn’t at all what you asked for, lol.

Is there any travel insurance that offers any type of assistance in situations like this? For next time, I mean. Maybe one that offers a stipend for necessary items in the case of lost/delayed luggage? I don’t know if that’s a thing or not, honestly.

Again, sorry you’re dealing with that. šŸ™

amindfultravellerblog
    August 24, 2017 at 4:15 am

Terrible experiences like this certainly leave a bad taste in your mouth in terms of travelling again. How frustrating and disappointing. Thanks for sharing your story Sophie. šŸ™‚

Ian
    August 24, 2017 at 6:15 am

Try Martin Lewis web sight.Then copy all of your blog to him as an e mail. Ask his advice.

purrpale
    August 24, 2017 at 11:26 am

That’s so terrible omg, I’m sorry you had to deal with that! I’m not an experienced traveller at all as I’ve never left the UK but I can’t imagine how I’d react it that situation! I’d probably react the exact same as you hahaha! I hope it doesn’t put you off travelling anymore! xx

starringpamela
    August 24, 2017 at 5:09 pm

That’s horrible! I actually recommend you reach out to people at the company through social media like Twitter. When I couldn’t get answers from Verizon I found a regional director on twitter and stalked who he followed until I found the correct person for my region. She was able to get me answers within 24 hours after dealing with the issues for over 2 months.

hopelessblog
      August 29, 2017 at 11:37 am

that’s soo good! My worry with social media is they can sue you for talking badly about them or something šŸ™

starringpamela
        August 29, 2017 at 1:43 pm

True! But you can just say you have an issue and need help solving it. Then they can direct message you to help out and you can tell them the full story there!

ameliacdowling
      December 15, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Sorry I know this was ages ago (hopefully resolved by now??) But yes complaining via social media is the best way to go! It makes the company go ‘uh oh something is making us look bad’ and they will be trying to resolve it pronto!

hopelesswonderer
        December 16, 2017 at 2:09 pm

unfortunately still not resolved šŸ™ but I do need to get round to writing on social media!

That one time in Thailand… | ALEX COVERDALE
    August 28, 2017 at 1:16 pm

[…] Source: That one time in Thailand… […]

Hunida
    August 27, 2019 at 11:32 pm

Oh my gosh, this sounds SO awful!! Can’t wait to read & hear all about your re-do trip. It’s going to go so much better. I know it!! ā™”

Let me know what you thought of this post!

Instagram

Instagram has returned invalid data.

%d bloggers like this: